Friday, April 9, 2010

...Sexual Orientation...

Today as I was driving down main street of a very small town close to where I live I was shocked to glance out and see two high school boys holding, seriously - not just making fun, hands and then share a quick peck. Because i have grown up in a small town I do use the word shocked. This is NOT something I'm used to seeing! So my thought today is this:

What determines sexual orientation? What are your thoughts?

Lets start with a definition of what sexual orientation even is. Sexual Orientation, defined per my text book, states this: "The gender(s) that a person is attracted to emotionally, physically, sexually, and romantically."

As I was studying this chapter I found it very interesting the different theories theorist have about what determines a persons sexual orientation. The theories went as follows:

1. Biological: theorist that believe this basically believe that homosexuals are actually different physically the heterosexuals.

2. Developmental: theorist that believe this believe that homosexuality first, there is nothing different physically between homosexuals and heterosexuals, and second homosexualtiy develops as a result of the way they were brought up and in response to their personal history.

3.Learning: theorist that beleive this theory explore how homosexuality is a learned behavior.

4.Sociological: theorist that believe this look at how social forces produce homosexuality in a society

5.Interactional: theoriest that believe this theory look at the interaction between biology, development, and societal factors.

What are your thoughts? Which do you think determines a persons sexual orientation?

Because I haven't studied these theories thouroughly I don't feel I could give an great educated representation of myself and my beliefs. But, if i had to choose I would say either Interactional or, along the same lines, a combination of a few of them.

Thank you so much for all of your assistance!

Love,

♥Alex♥

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alex, Jami (Baker) Brindley here.

I don't know if you know it, but my oldest brother is gay. Or in my opinion he decided that being gay is the path he wanted to take. He has openly said it was a choice. But then has tried to bring up insignificant points trying to justify his sexual preference. Points like he said he knew had a crush on a boy in 1st grade.
He was madly in love with a girl in high school, wrote to her on his mission, then came home fully expecting to marry her. She just wanted to be friends. So in his down time some friends from work started taking him to gay bars. And from there he decided he wanted to take this "easier" road. He had friends and he felt more accepted. And he didn't have to work as hard for affection.
So take that as you may. My opinion is the majority of gays choose it because it's easier, or because it's another lifestyle that is more accepted now. I also remember learning that homosexuality was in the official psychiatrist book. It used to be diagnosed as a psychiatric disorder until the homosexuals protested it. That says a lot to me. Some people may be born with something that causes them to be attracted to the same sex, but since it's not natural for people of the same sex to want to mate with one another, there has to be something in their genetic makeup that is askew.
And that's what I think and have experienced

Anonymous said...

Hi Alex,

homosexuality is a tough topic to discuss, i think especially because of the society we have been raised in and because it is such an emotional topic.
i have to agree with you- i believe homosexuality is a combination of many factors in a persons life (just like other behaviors).
however, i do not believe that homosexuality is a choice. i think that some people may make a conscious decision that they 'want to be' homosexual, but then there are those who just are. i have witnessed this several times in the LDS church- men or women who struggle with feelings of homosexuality but try to live the lives they have been taught they are supposed to. the fact that they feel one way but do another tells me that it is not a choice for them.

that's my very brief opinion on the matter! take it as you will. good luck with your project.

Anonymous said...

I cannot in my wildest imagination see how being gay would be "easier" than being straight. I am LDS all the way, and also grew up in a small town, but I think we walk a very very fine line when we start saying that those who have same-sex attraction "choose" to have it and then treat them with disdain. I know too many LDS people who struggle with it; some have chosen to give in and embrace it and others have chosen celibacy for the rest of their live so they can stay worthy of the church blessing. I think in the end we will all be very surprised at what exactly happens to "create" same-sex attraction, but my feeling is that it is a condition of mortality the same as all imperfection is a condition of mortality. Not all are born with perfect bodies (birth defects, mental defects, etc), and hormonal differences or may lead to same sex attraction. I don't know ... but I would rather err on the side of kindness rather than judge how someone tries to deal with the mortal difficulties he or she may have been given in this life.

The Kessler's said...

I agree that whether it is a choice or not changes depending on the individual. From what I've observed in gays/lesbians is that the majority of them are extremely lacking in confidence which leads me to believe that "coming out of the closet" is their way of getting attention or feeling accepted somewhere. I have also met some that have no issues with confidence, and just are the way they are. I agree about erring on the side of kindness. I think people take the different theories about homosexuality, and then use them to support their critical judgements. For example, deciding that it is always a person's choice, and then feeling okay about condemning them for it. We, as an LDS community are so quick to judge others on their decision in life. They choose a life of immorality, but some of us choose a life of unrighteous judgement. Which is the greater sin? I'd say the unrighteous judgement.